Are you a carer?


Your GP (General Practitioner) and primary care team can provide you with invaluable support, advice and information.

A helpful starting point to getting the support you need as a carer is to let your GP know about your responsibilities. 

There are many services that can offer guidance including occupational therapists, physiotherapists, continence advisers and dieticians.This section provides some more details about the type of support your primary care team can offer.


What should I tell my GP?


  • Tell your GP that you have caring responsibilities as soon as possible. They can then record this on your medical records.

If they know you are a carer and likely to be under pressure at times, they will be able to offer more tailored advice and, if necessary, provide more support when they diagnose and treat you in the future.

  • GPs in England are being urged to adopt new measures dedicated to ensuring young carers are offered flu vaccinations, regular health check-ups and mental health screening routinely.

We hope this initiative will also be extended more widely in the UK and to adult carers. You could ask your GP or local practice for more information.

If you're a carer, your GP could help 

  • provide information and advice on:
    • medical conditions of and treatments for the person you care for to help you feel more confident in your caring role.
    • services provided by the NHS such as continence services and patient transport to hospital appointments.
    • other sources of support and advice. This could include the social services department and local voluntary agencies.
  • arrange home visits to you or the person you care for if your caring responsibilities make it difficult to attend appointments at the surgery.
  • arrange 'double' appointments for both you and the person you care for at the same time to avoid having to visit the surgery twice.
  • arrange for repeat prescriptions to be delivered to your local pharmacy to save you picking them up.
  • provide supporting letters and information to enable you and the person you care for to access benefits such as Attendance Allowance or a blue badge scheme.

For more information visit Home - Carers UK

Accessibility tools

Return to header